Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sunday Sight Seeing

Day 4 – Sunday, June 29th

Sunday began with a drive to the near by town of Dumfries to find Lincluden Collegiate Church. This church was built in 1389 on what used to be a nunnery. It also houses the tomb of Princess Margaret, daughter of Robert III.




Next we drove to Caerlaverock Castle, which was one that I visited my first time here and I loved it! This castle is completely surrounded by a moat and was used as a stronghold to guard the Solway Shore.








We enjoyed another picnic lunch and then headed to our last stop of the day which was Drumcoltran Tower. 



This was an example of what landowners would live in during the mid-1500s. It was in really great shape. We were able to walk right in and there was even roof access. It was definitely smaller than the castles and abbeys we’ve been looking at but I think it was one of my favorites.

The rest of the evening was spent making dinner, and throwing Coen a late birthday party.


All of the colors here seem like they are on steroids. Everything is brighter and bolder than anything in my backyard. It is truly beautiful.