Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 1 - What A Difference an Hour Can Make

Tuesday started out as a very good day.

I was able to meet my packing goal of taking only 1 bag and 1 carry on.

We got to the airport nice and early.

Nobody lost their passport.

Mom and I made it through security without a strip search.

We found seats right by the gate to sit and wait for our flight to start boarding.....and as I took the last sip of my Diet Dr. Pepper, it happened.

The lady working at the desk came over the loud speaker and announced that there was going to be a possible delay. The seatbelt on the co-pilot's chair was malfunctioning and they had to order a new one.

She was estimating the delay to be at least one hour.

Guess how long our layover in London was? 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Needless to say after much wailing and nashing of the teeth, we missed our connection. We finally made it to Barcelona 6 hours later than planned.

I have to say that the last few flights I have been on have had some pretty horrible delays, to the point where one flight had to turn around mid-air and land due to smoke in the cabin. I think I am a jinx. Hopefully we will have better luck on the way home.

Once in Barcelona, Den met us at the airport and got a taxi to take us to his flat.

(Did you hear that Luke and Teena???? A taxi!!!! We had to take the bus and WALK to the flat!)

Den prepared a wonderful meal and we sat down to eat and watch Spain beat Portugal in the Euro Cup Semi Finals. One of the coolest (and sometimes annoying if you are trying to sleep) things about his flat is that with all the windows open you can hear the cheers and screams from all the local bars and neighbors. So when Spain won, it felt as if we were surrounded by hundreds of other fans.

After the game, Den and I left to grab a drink at a local bar hidden down one of the old winding streets in his neighborhood.

The entrance was an old elevator and the drinks and the company were great.



It was a perfect end to my first night in Barcelona. 15 days to go!